DIY

A Tale of Two Spray Guns Part 1

I’ve been looking for furniture for my daughter for a while.  The dresser she currently has, my father picked up off the side of the road when I was in elementary school.  It’s made of particle board & has not fared the years well.  The hardware is mostly shot.  Some of the drawers when you pull them out almost fall into your lap or even worse your head because you’re sitting on the floor getting someone dressed for bed, not that that would have happened to me …

IMG_5760

Anyway, my Mother-In-Law happened to see a post on the town related FB page, offering some furniture for free.  The house was less then a 5 minute drive so I asked the woman if I could stop by & take a look.  Needless to say the free furniture came home to live with me.  Alas, they are not exactly high quality pieces.  They’re not IKEA quality (sorry IKEA) but they are not even what I would qualify as Home Depot quality.  They’re sort of eh.

Particle board & Plastic Foot
Particle board & Plastic Foot

Thus why I decided to take on this “quick” project to repaint them.

Step 1: Sand & Tack Cloth

Now because the quality on the pieces themselves were not that great, I only sanded the pieces with my 220 grit sand paper just to scuff up the surface.  I was, after all, planning on painting them white over the existing white paint.

While taking off this beautiful hardware … gag ….

IMG_5757

I discovered several things about the previous owners of said furniture.  First, they decided to super glue the handles to the screws.  This made it difficult on several of them to turn the knob to take the hardware off.  The second thing I discovered was that the original hardware required two holes in most cases, not one. So now I will have to deal with puttying up 3 holes on each drawer in order to mount hardware.  Oh joy.

IMG_5758

IMG_6274

IMG_6275

I used my orbital sander for the larger flat areas, & hand sanded the “decoration”, aka plastic drawer fronts & feet.  Keep in mind I was using 220 sand paper for just a quick roughening of the surface.  This allows for the paint to adhere better to the surface you’re applying it to.

Step 2: Spray Gun #1

Now that all the pieces were sanded (two dressers, one night stand, & one vanity), it was time to break out the big guns.  Spray gun that is.  The one I was borrowing I was convinced because it was larger would do a better & faster job. I’ve never set up a spray gun before, but how hard could it be? Ha!  I poured the paint into the gun, attached it to my retractable air hose in my garage, and squeezed the trigger.

Zippo!  All that came out was air. I researched online that you often need to thin latex paint in order to use it in a spray gun.  Ok so using they’re advise, I thinned the paint.  Still nada.  Read some more online & found you need to filter the paint after it’s thinned.  Tried again.  Still more nothing. Well I know when it’s time to retreat.

Later, upon more investigation, my father who was helping me (because let’s be honest it’s not possible to watch two kids & spray paint on furniture) discovered that the probable cause of the larger fancier unit not working was most likely the fact that the filter that’s in the gun was so caked with paint air was barely getting through let alone paint.  The last person to use it neglected to take that piece out to clean it and all the paint dried on it.

Step 3: Spray Gun #2

To be continued ….

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s